Youth Services Librarian
Penn Hills Library is seeking two Youth Services Librarians to oversee the development and implementation of programs and services for youth from birth to grade 12 and their families. Strong in one area, familiar in the other area? Let’s talk.
What you will do:
- Design, promote, implement, and evaluate library and community outreach services for youth from birth to grade 12.
- Participate in the development of equitable library policies and procedures.
- Advocate on behalf of youth and families.
- Cultivate an enjoyable environment for youth and families.
- Provide reference and reader’s advisory for youth, parents, and caregivers.
- Ensure the library’s collections include relevant print and digital resources aimed at the specific interests and needs of the youth in the community.
- Ensure staff are delivering outstanding service to youth and families by teaching, coaching and leading by example.
- Work with the leadership team to maintain high quality standards for service.
- Build long lasting relationships by engaging with the community and developing strong lines of communication.
What you will need:
- Experience designing, implementing, and evaluating library programs and services for youth from birth to age 17.
- Understanding of theories of infant, child, and adolescent learning, literacy development and brain development, and their implications for library service.
- Strong knowledge of youth literature, interests, and behaviors.
- Master’s degree in Library Science or Education preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience working with youth and caregivers will also be given serious consideration.
What would be great:
- Knowledge of best practices in community assessment and engagement.
- Knowledge of restorative practices and restorative justice philosophy.
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Job Type: Full-time, benefits, including evenings and weekends
The Penn Hills Library is a 501c3 nonprofit library in Allegheny County with a service area of over 40,000 residents. We believe in engaging the community, supporting their needs, and charging no fines or fees for service.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com by October 29.